A man has claimed he swallowed a piece of glass while eating a gourmet sausage he earlier purchased from Coles.
Thinking the sharp object was a regular piece of gristle, the Melbourne shopper swallowed it down with his fetta and rosemary lamb sausage.
It wasn’t until he took another bite and found a chunk of glass that he begun to consider the worst – that he had accidentally ingested a shard of glass.
In a post to the supermarket’s Facebook page, he claimed he reported the matter to Coles but felt “that they didn’t take it seriously”.
“Instead of actioning it straight away, it took them several days to get back to me,” he wrote on Sunday.
The man claimed he received an email from the supermarket stating its “quality control was second to none” which left him feeling as though “they didn’t even believe me”.
“After days of worry that I had swallowed glass and some surface damage to my teeth, all they offered was a refund on their lousy sausages,” he wrote.
“I find their customer service appalling.”
The shopper also implored other shoppers to not “buy Coles sausages”.
A Coles employee replied to his post to say they were “disappointed” to hear of his experience and to request additional information.
A Coles spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia the matter was being investigated.
“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously. We have spoken to the customer and Coles is investigating the matter,” they said in a statement.
“As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.