Another batch of Moet & Chandon recalled amid ecstasy spiking fears

·3-min read

A second batch of lethal ecstasy-spiked luxury Moet & Chandon champagne has been recalled across Europe.

So far, the contamination has killed one victim and poisoned 10 others across the continent.

Now health watchdogs have issued a new warning over a second batch of the bubbly in Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

Non-profit organisation Foodwatch says it has blacklisted a second batch of Moet & Chandon's luxury three-litre XXL Ice Imperial bottles.

The first batch of Moet & Chandon found in the Netherlands that was recalled by authorities.
The first batch of Moet & Chandon was recalled in February. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

The first batch — LAJ7QAB6780004 — was taken off the market shelves due to MDMA (Methylenedioxymethamphetamine) — or ecstasy — contamination on February 26.

It will now be joined by a second batch of the tipple — identified as LAK5SAA6490005 — for the same reason.

"The authorities in the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Germany announced the recall on 7th-14th June," a Foodwatch spokesperson said.

"June expanded and warned of a second batch."

They explained that the champagne would not look any different before uncorking it.

"Touching and/or drinking the contents of the bottle is life-threatening, even trying it by dipping the tips of your fingertips can cause massive health problems," Foodwatch reported.

"Champagne infused with MDMA does not sparkle, smells like anise and has a reddish-brown colour.

"Affected bottles must immediately report to the police."

Hands holding champagne glass on cruise ship. Source: Getty
So far, the contamination has killed one victim and poisoned 10 others across the continent. Source: Getty

Man dies, several ill after drinking Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial

Dutch health authorities reported that four people fell ill after sipping from a tampered A$791 bottle in the Netherlands.

Meanwhile, one partygoer died guzzling the champers, while seven other people had to be hospitalised during a night out in Weiden in der Oberpfalz in Bavaria, southern Germany.

Harald Georg Z., 52, collapsed after taking a big swallow from a magnum bottle of Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial as he celebrated the end of COVID-19 lockdown restrictions with some friends at the local La Vita eatery.

The businessman and his pals had started with aperols before buying the mega bottle of champagne to mark the end of a pandemic curfew.

Harald Georg Z. even posted a video on social media showing the group toasting with champagne, before they suddenly started cramping with foam on their lips, German media revealed.

Harald George Z., aged 52, (left) who died after drinking ecstasy-spiked Moet & Chandon Ice Imperia in the city of Weiden in der Oberpfalz located in the German state of Bavaria. Source: Newsflash/Australscope
Harald Georg Z., 52, (left) collapsed and died after taking a big swallow from a magnum of Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

Reportedly, Harald Georg Z. desperately tried to run to the toilet before he passed out.

The bottle, according to investigators, contained 1000 times the dose of a single ecstasy pill.

Ecstasy is a psychoactive drug, which induces desired effects such as altered sensations, increased energy and pleasure.

Extended use can lead to memory problems, sleeping difficulties and paranoia.

Newsflash/Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting