A Woolworths shopper has made a bizarre discovery after opening a can of tinned tomatoes from the supermarket.
Shell McKenzie from the Melbourne suburb of Sunbury told Yahoo News Australia she was baffled when she opened a tin of tomatoes that contained no tomatoes at all.
Instead, the sealed tin was full of water.
Shell said she had purchased the Woolworths Essentials brand diced Italian tomatoes as part of her online order.
"It was delivered to my workplace," she explained.
"My cook opened it and was shocked it was filled with water… we bought others that were fine."
Sharing her bizarre find on the Woolworths Facebook page, Shell posted photos of the just-opened tin that oddly contained plain water.
"Received a can of diced tomatoes today and it is filled with water!!! Wtf!!" she wrote.
Woolworths responds to weird water mix-up
A Woolworths representative quickly responded to Shell asking her for more details about her strange discovery.
"We're sorry to see you've received a can of diced tomatoes filled with water. We can imagine the surprise this would've caused when you opened it," the spokesperson said.
"We'd like to look into this for you but do need to grab some details. Can you please let us know the store of purchase, the expiry date and the batch information?"
"In the meantime, we'd like to let you know that you're more than welcome to return this product, its packaging or your receipt to your local Woolworths store to receive a full refund or replacement. Thanks!"
Shell told Yahoo News Australia when she reached out to Woolworths to provide the product details, the person she spoke to was just as shocked as she was.
"I spoke with them on the phone and they were shocked and offered a refund and a $10 goodwill credit," she said.
"They have no idea how it happened."
Strange discovery inside a tin of peas
This isn't the first time a Woolworths customer has found something unusual inside one of their tinned products.
A Melbourne customer recently shared he'd found a sizeable stone inside a tin of peas, after almost feeding it to his two-year-old daughter.
He purchased the product from Woolworths inside the North Blackburn Shopping Centre earlier that day before making the discovery and posting it to social media.
"I found a stone in these garden peas that I almost fed to my two-year-old! Can you make sure others don’t miss this and a kid chokes?" he wrote to Woolworths.
An employee of the supermarket responded saying they were "sorry to hear that a foreign object was found in the tin of garden peas you purchased from us".
The spokesperson said the issue had been resolved with the customer and that as far as the supermarket was aware, the issue was isolated.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.