Teen set on fire after horrific science experiment fail

A high school teacher presenting a flashy demonstration to get her students excited about chemistry made a mistake that caused a fire to burn "out of control" and seriously injure one of her students.

Malachi McFadden, 16, suffered third-degree burns on his face, neck and torso and was hospitalised after his chemistry teacher bungled the "burning money demonstration" at Redan High School, just outside Atlanta in the US state of Georgia, a school district report said.

The incident took place on August 6, on the second day of Malachi’s junior year, his lawyers said.

A report was released Wednesday by an investigator for the DeKalb County school system which included witness statements from students and teachers in an effort to piece together what happened.

Teacher Bridgette Blowe wrote in a statement included in the report that she had successfully done the demonstration — lighting an accelerant-soaked bill on fire — in previous years and for two other classes this year.

Malachi McFadden, 16, suffered third-degree burns on the second day of his junior year. Source: Associated Press

In this particular class, the flame didn't burn out completely, Blowe wrote, "so I attempted to extinguish the flame with water, but I reached for the alcohol instead, by mistake."

The report said Blowe violated district standards and that Regional Superintendent Sean Tartt recommended Blowe be fired, but Principal Janice Boger recommended she be suspended and receive training on classroom safety.

The school district said Wednesday that Blowe is on administrative leave with pay, that no disciplinary action has been taken, and the district is "reviewing training and safety protocols for its science labs."

In a letter included in the report, Boger called Blowe a good teacher who, in this case, "made an awful mistake."

L Chris Stewart, a lawyer for McFadden, said they will likely end up suing for damages to cover his pain and suffering, as well as past and future medical costs, including plastic surgery.

"The only thing for them to do is to accept responsibility for it," Stewart said of the school district.

Malachi said he was now nervous about an upcoming chemistry class, that will be compulsory if he wants to graduate. Source: Associated Press

The demonstration Blowe was attempting is popular on the internet and the premise is simple: Soak paper money in a mixture of water and alcohol, light it and amaze your friends when the bill comes through unharmed. But numerous videos also show the experiment going horribly wrong.

Blowe had tried to do the experiment the first day of classes using a mixture of water and alcohol, but it didn't work, according to witness statements.

She tried the demonstration again the next day using a mixture of water and ethanol. After soaking a $5 bill and lighting it, she put it in a bowl and "added more ethanol to make the flame bigger," the investigator concluded.

That "caused the flame to become out of control," spread across the lab table and burn McFadden, who had his head down.

Blowe said the glassware was mislabeled, but the report says it was unclear whether she was trying to put the fire out or "trying to make the flames larger so that students could see the flame."

The investigator wrote that it was "inconclusive as to whether or not Ms Blowe's use of water or alcohol was accidental."

Bridgette Blowe worked at Redan since August 2016 and had successfully performed the experiment several times beforehand. Source: Google Maps

Reached by phone Wednesday, Blowe declined to comment.

McFadden told The Associated Press in a September interview that his hands still hurt constantly and he misses playing baritone saxophone in the band along with playing football and basketball. He hopes to return next semester.

He likes math and wants to be an engineer but has never really liked science. He'll have to take chemistry next year to graduate but said he feels nervous about that.

Related

Blowe, 36, had worked at Redan since August 2016 and previously as a science teacher at two other DeKalb County high schools from August 2007 through June 2013.

While a student at Georgia Southern University, Blowe worked as a teaching assistant in the chemistry department, according to an employment application.

Among the responsibilities she listed: "Made sure all laboratory procedures were run safely and properly."

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.