A shopper has received a spiky surprise in a bag of salad purchased from Coles.
The woman was putting together an evening meal when she reached for a bag of Four Leaf Salad she bought from Coles Zetland, in Sydney’s inner east.
“I reached into the bag and got a shock when I felt a very sharp spike from something that's definitely not lettuce,” she wrote to the retailer’s Facebook page on Tuesday.
The cause of the customer’s painful experience was revealed in a photo she included in her post.
Coming from inside the plastic bag was a cactus-looking branch with large thorns extending out of its extremities.
The prickly plant was well disguised among the other greens in the bag, so it was understandable the shopper didn’t realise it was in there until getting home.
A Coles employee expressed concern after hearing of her experience.
“Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We’re disappointed to see this, and we’d like to look into this further,” they wrote in a comment.
The employee requested that the shopper provide more information so the matter could be investigated.
A spokesperson for Coles said the matter was being investigated.
“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously. We have spoken to the customer and will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter,” they told Yahoo News Australia.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.