McDonald's customer 'burnt on leg' while in drive-thru

Brooke Rolfe
·News Reporter
·2-min read

A McDonald's customer has been left fuming after sustaining a burn to his leg from what he claimed was the result of staff ignoring a crucial safety protocol. 

John Billing blasted the fast food restaurant after an unsavoury experience at the Frankston North location, in Melbourne, on March 12. 

Mr Billing claimed staff passed him a searing hot coffee that didn't have a lid, which he said caused him to spill the drink on his leg.

John Billing sits in his car (right) and a McDonald's drive-thru (left).
John Billing claimed he was burnt by a coffee from the Franskton North McDonald's (pictured). Source: Google Maps/YouTube

"I've just been to Maccas at Frankston North, I don't even know why I bothered going there again, there's always a problem," he recalled in a video he shared to YouTube. 

"Today [they] didn't put the lid on my coffee cup did they? So I've now got a burnt leg [and] coffee right throughout my car and I've got to clean this mess up," he said. 

Staff replaced the coffee and gave Mr Billing some serviettes, but apparently did not ask if he required medical attention. 

According to Mr Billing, the coffee spilled over his car's door, as well as underneath and through the driver's side seat. 

'You're hopeless'

"It's going to cost a fortune to get this cleaned," he claimed. 

"Would have been nice if they said, 'hey, are you OK? Are you burnt? Do you need any medical attention?', but no, they couldn't even do that," he said in the video. 

"McDonald's Frankston North, you're hopeless." 

The burns on John Billing's leg.
This was the aftermath of being burned by the hot coffee, according to Mr Billing. Source: YouTube

Mr Billing revealed a photo of his right leg, which appeared to have a deep red patch on his thigh.

In a fiery post to McDonald's later that day, he claimed he had lodged a formal complaint to WorkSafe Victoria. because he had not received a response from the company.

Yahoo News Australia has contacted Mr Billing for further comment.

A McDonald's employee responded to the tweet requesting that he detail his experience in an email. 

McDonald's told Yahoo News Australia the incident would be investigated.

“McDonald’s takes the safe handling of its food and drinks and the safety of its customers very seriously. Our customer service team has been made aware of the matter and will be investigating further," a spokesperson said.

WorkSafe Victoria has been contacted for further information on the matter.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.