Little girl's Coles snack takes disgusting turn

Brooke Rolfe
·News Reporter
·1-min read

A grandma was fuming after her granddaughter came dangerously close to eating a bug disguised in a snack from Coles.

The little girl was eating a strawberry bought from the supermarket’s St Marys store in Western Sydney on Wednesday last week when things took a horrible turn.

After biting into the piece of fruit, the pair spotted an earwig – an unappealing but non-venomous insect.

Front of a Coles store.
The grandma bought strawberries from the St Marys Coles last week. Source: Getty Images

While the bugs aren’t harmful when swallowed, they certainly aren’t what the average person expects to find in their fruit.

The grandma took her outrage to social media following their traumatising experience, sharing a photo of the culprit and expressing she was “really mad”.

“My granddaughter bit into a strawberry that we bought from Coles St Marys Wednesday and this earwig came out. Really mad,” she wrote.

The body of the insect in question was shown in the photo with its intimidating set of pincers on full display.

Earwig found in Coles strawberry.
The shopper was "really mad" at her granddaughter almost swallowing this earwig. Source: Facebook

A Coles spokesperson confirmed contact had been made with the customer following the unpleasant experience.

“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously. We have spoken to the customer and notified the supplier,” they told Yahoo News Australia.

“As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100% happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.