Queensland residents got a shock when a load of laundry was interrupted after they spotted a brown tail disappearing under the washing machine.
The “huge” eastern brown snake was found under the appliance in a semi-enclosed laundry under a house in the Sunshine Coast and gave the homeowners a good reason to skip laundry day
“It would definitely be an acceptable excuse not to do the washing,” Stu McKenzie, of the Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers, posted on Facebook.
“The homeowners sent me in this photo of the big fella.”
According to the professional snake catchers, the homeowners were tempting fate when they took the photo.
“They got a little too close to take this photo,” the post cautioned.
Terrified people on Facebook commented doing the household chore would never be the same again.
“I always want an excuse to not do the washing but this is definitely not one of them!” one said.
Eastern brown snakes are common in the area and Mr McKenzie said the snake catchers see them “nearly every day”, but warned it’s best to keep your distance.
“It’s the second most venomous snake in the world,” he told Yahoo News Australia.
“If you were bitten you would start feeling the effects almost immediately.”
Luckily for the residents in the house, the snake slithered back to the bush before Mr McKenzie could arrive to relocate the deadly snake.
He shared the photo on social media with a warning to others hoping to capture the perfect moment a snake decides to visit.
“A good photo is not worth getting bitten over!” he wrote.
However one still asked for advice on how to best get a photo of an unwanted guest.
“What exactly is a safe distance to photograph a snake like this from? Asking for a friend because it’s unlikely I’d be able to keep my hands steady to take a picture,” a person wrote.
The suggestion offered seemed a little too cautious.
“The next suburb!” one person wrote.
The photo did help to confirm one person’s belief that no good can come from doing laundry though.
“I knew housework was dangerous,” they wrote.
It comes just a month after a Brisbane university student returned to his room to find a huge python perched on top of his microwave and coffee machine.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.