Custody battle for baby orphaned by San Bernardino attack

The fate of a 6-month old girl, left orphaned after her parents went on a murderous rampage in San Bernardino last week, will be decided by a US Family Court.

Custody battle for baby orphaned by San Bernardino attack

Custody battle for baby orphaned by San Bernardino attack

The girl, whose name is not being released, is in the custody of San Bernardino County Child Protective Services - still too young to know that her parents, Syed Rizwan Farrok and Tashfeen Malik, were both killed by police in a shootout.

Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik were killed in a shoot out with police after they murdered 14 people.

The New York Post reported that the baby is not expected to be raised by blood relatives.

However, her aunt and uncle moved to gain custody of her at a Family Court hearing on Monday.

The court was closed to the public but a statement from the LA branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations’ said: “The family is naturally distraught at the separation and are eagerly awaiting to obtain custody of the 6-month-old girl”.

The older sister of Syed Farook told ABC News she and her husband wanted to adopt the little girl and give her a “stable upbringing”.

Saira Khan and her husband are seeking custody of her brother's child. Photo: ABC News

"For the time being, we want her to enjoy her innocence," said Saira Khan.

"You know, we don't want her to know everything, but I think eventually she will find out probably on her own."

The child had reportedly been left with her grandmother when her parents left last Wednesday and carried out a deadly attack in which 14 people were killed and 21 injured.

The scene in San Bernardino after Wednesday's mass shooting.

US authorities are now treating the attack as an act of terrorism.

Back To Top
feedback