Coronavirus warning to Woolworths shoppers after infected customer visits store

Tom Flanagan
News Reporter

Woolworths shoppers have been issued a coronavirus warning by the supermarket giant after a person who tested positive for the virus visited a Perth store.

Management at the Livingston Woolworths in Canning Vale, in the city’s south, issued the warning via a customer notice in-store after one of Western Australia’s six confirmed cases visited the premises on Sunday.

“Dear customers, we have been notified by the Department of Health Western Australian that a customer with a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19) was present in this store on Sunday, 8 March between 11.30am and 12.30pm,” a sign, which was shared in a local community Facebook group, reads.

The notice put up at the Woolworths store in Perth. Source: Facebook

The notice reassured customers the risk was “very low” and the supermarket had been thoroughly cleaned.

“As per public health advice, customers and team members should be assured they can continue to shop at our store with confidence,” it said.

Anyone who visited the store at those times on Sunday and felt unwell was urged to contact the Department of Health.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed to Yahoo News Australia the person with coronavirus had visited the store on Sunday and staff would be offered the relevant support and checks.

“The safety of our customers and team members is our number one priority,” the spokesperson said.

Last week, a man who was meant to be self-isolating after contracting coronavirus also visited a Woolworths store in Tasmania.

The Department of Health has urged people undergoing testing to remain at home and self-isolate, with results taking up to 48 hours.

As is the case in Sydney, the worst hit city for coronavirus cases, authorities in WA are trying to track down anyone who may have come into contact with the people confirmed to have the virus.

On Monday, UK comedian Russell Brand cancelled a gig at the Perth Concert Hall after a woman in her 70s who tested positive for the virus had visited the venue on Saturday.

People are seen wearing face masks in Sydney on Monday amid a spike in cases across the city. Source: AAP

Government to provide free GP assessments and pop up clinics

The federal government announced on Tuesday a $2.4 billion health package in response of the outbreak.

From Friday, Australians will be able to bulk-bill phone hook-ups with GPs to diagnose coronavirus symptoms.

Health authorities would also establish up to 100 "pop-up" clinics, with each expected to handle 75 patients a day.

The government hopes the clinics will divert people with coronavirus away from hospitals, with two of the country's peak medical bodies to help identify suitable locations.

“Now is the moment of pressure... this is a once-in-50-year challenge that we face,” Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said.

Confirmed coronavirus cases in Australia as of 7am on Tuesday. Source: Yahoo News Australia

Australia's Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy confirmed there was now more than 100 cases of coronavirus in Australia, with more than half already cleared.

Three Australians have died so far and two of those have been in Sydney, which has emerged as a hotspot for the virus.

Prof Murphy also said it was highly unlikely people would catch the virus twice.

The world’s total death toll has now soared beyond 4,262.

On Tuesday, six more people were diagnosed with COVID-19 in NSW, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 61.

There are now 18 cases in Queensland and 16 in Victoria.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.