Victorians will be able to eat and drink inside restaurants, cafes and pubs again from the start of June, under an easing of coronavirus restrictions.
Such venues will be able to host up to 20 people in an enclosed space from June 1, Premier Daniel Andrews announced on Sunday.
That number will increase to 50 from June 22, and to 100 during the second half of July.
“On June 22, three weeks later, they can be increased to 50, and in July, so three or four weeks after, we will look to move to 100 patrons in a closed space,” Mr Andrews said.
Venues that have been open in recent weeks have only been able to serve takeaway.
The development comes after another 50,000 tests were conducted in the past week, with the state government given confidence by the low rates of community transmission.
But the premier stressed social distancing measures - which are being hashed out with industry - will have to be followed.
"It is a long and extensive set of rules," Mr Andrews said.
“This will only work if those who are going out to a cafe or going out for a meal at a restaurant or going to a bistro in a pub actually follow those rules and do the right thing and take these things seriously”.
Victoria recorded another seven COVID-19 cases on Sunday, bringing the state's total so far to 1561.
Two cases are linked to existing outbreaks, three were found in hotel quarantine and the other two cases are being investigated.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.