Vet's wild find inside dog: 'That's insane'

A vet's wild video of a dog getting a common household item removed from its stomach has sparked a warning to pet owners.

The viral footage, viewed more than 10 million times, shows what looks like a spaniel lying on an operating table after ingesting a whole green rubber duck.

"What the duck?!" Dr. Shelby Baden, from the US state of Florida, jokingly captions the video. Given how far in the family toy had been dangerously lodged, as shown in the X-ray, the emergency vets performed a canine endoscopy to remove it in a less invasive way.

A phot of the dog in Florida on an operating table having a canine endoscopy done to remove the rubber duck. A photo of the duck reunited with the other five the pet owner brought for 'moral support'.
A video of a vet in Florida removing a rubber duck from a dog’s stomach went viral. Source: TikTok/travelling_dogtor

While the pet underwent the procedure, Dr Baden told Yahoo News Australia that the owner brought in five other rubber ducks for "moral support".

Before long, the vets had triumphantly removed it and the toy was "reunited at last" with the other five on the table.

An X-ray of the duck lodged in the dog's stomach.
The X-ray shows the rubber duck sitting in the dog's stomach. Source: TikTok/travelling_dogtor

Social media users react to video

Many were shocked that the dog managed to swallow a whole rubber duck, with some saying they were "not surprised that it's a spaniel".

"Ducked around and found out," one person joked on TikTok.

"That's insane. I hope they made a full recovery," another said.

"Not the family photo at the end," a third person said, referring to the group of ducks.

What are the signs your dog has swallowed something they shouldn't have?

Rubber is quite dangerous for a dog to swallow because it's not digestible and in some cases can even be fatal, depending on the size of the object and dog.

Rubber bands and small rubber balls are more commonly eaten than larger objects like rubber ducks, however in any case it's recommended to call your local vet as soon as you suspect anything.

Signs include difficulty breathing, retching or vomiting and drooling which should be treated as an emergency.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.