Vet's alarming find inside violently ill French bulldog

Beefcake, from Keilor Downs in Melbourne’s northwest, fell ill after swallowing four rubber ducks for dinner.

The bulldog’s owner, Tabatha Pugh, had been using them as a reward after training.

“I think it’s the squeaky sound,” Ms Pugh said.

“Like if I was to squeak one now he would 100 per cent want another duck.”

Beefcake, a French bulldog from Melbourne’s Keilor Downs, fell ill after swallowing four rubber ducks for dinner. Source: gofundme/Beefcake the rubber duck eater

Ms Pugh said vets could feel “something in his belly” after he became sick.

The X-rays showed four ducks in his stomach and intestine and they had been there for months.

“You could see the shadow of little heads and little beaks,” Lort Smith Animal Hospital’s Dr Paula Vance said.

Beefcake had to undergo a life-saving operation.

Dr Vance said vets had to act immediately and Beefcake’s belly was cut into to remove the ducks.

The ducks from inside the pooch’s tummy. Source: gofundme/Beefcake the rubber duck eater

“The consequences could have been much worse and potentially even fatal,” Dr Vance said.

“It’s important that the owner keeps providing them with toys that are big enough that they’re unlikely to be ingested.” 

The vet bill also cost $2800 with Beefcake’s owners starting a GoFundMe page. 

He is back at home now and is expected to make a full recovery.

The ducks, on the other hand, have been thrown in the bin.