Man reveals truth behind shocking Brisbane Covid mix-up

Josh Dutton
·News Reporter
·2-min read

A Brisbane man wrongfully accused of hosting a house party for 25 people while sick with Covid-19 has spoken out.

Queensland Health said on Saturday night a Strathpine man, 25, had hosted a house party between being tested for coronavirus and receiving his results which is a period when he should have been self-isolating.

However, on Sunday health authorities clarified this was incorrect and only five people had seen the man and it’s believed many of these people were actually living in the same house as him.

Lachlan Simpson, 25, is pictured.
Lachlan Simpson, 25, was wrongfully accused of hosting a house party while sick with coronavirus. Source: Nine News

Queensland Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski added no breach had occurred, and told the media and the public to "tone down your language" about the incident.

Lachlan Simpson, the man accused of hosting the party, told Nine News he hosted the event two weeks before he was tested.

Mr Simpson added his “heart’s been racing for the last 24 hours”.

“I didn’t have a party with 25 people,” he told Nine News.

“Somehow they’ve taken that day and moved it forward to Friday.”

Mr Simpson remains in hospital.

Health Minister says information had to be acted on quickly

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath on Sunday told reporters it’s not clear how the information health officials received from Mr Simpson was incorrect.

But they understood he had hosted a house party with 25 people over, she said.

Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath addresses the media during a press conference.
Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said early information received by health authorities had them believing the man had 25 people over to his house. Source: AAP

“That is what the health officials who originally spoke to this gentleman, when they first picked him up, that is what they understood had been said and that had to be acted on quickly,” Ms D’Ath said.

“And the police have independently investigated and of course, the gentleman has been cooperative with all of the contact tracing and it has been clarified that the people who were there were predominantly residents.”

Queensland reported four new cases of community transmission on Monday morning.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.