Tragedy as girl, 1, dies after choking on school lunch

Ash Cant
·1-min read

A town is mourning the death of a one-year-old girl who choked on her lunch and then died in hospital.

The girl choked on a bean during lunch on Monday and police reportedly arrived on the scene at the government-run nursery in Rocafort, Spain within a minute.

However, the little girl died on Wednesday (local time) in hospital, local publication El Periódico reported.

The girl had to have emergency surgery to remove the bean, after she was transferred to hospital, the publication said, citing “reliable sources”.

The toddler was then moved to the ICU and was in a critical condition until her death, having suffered brain damage due to the lack of oxygen.

The girl’s death was confirmed in a statement issued by the local government.

A one-year-old girl has died, after choking on her lunch. Source: Getty Images
A one-year-old girl has died, after choking on her lunch. Source: Getty Images (stock images)

“Despite the efforts of teachers, local police, health centre personnel and SAMU doctors, the little girl has died at La Faith Hospital,” the statement said.

There have been varying reports on how old the girl was, some are saying she was 14-months, other local outlets are reporting that she was 18-months old.

Rocafort City Council announced three days of mourning starting on Wednesday, local time, in light of the girls death.

“The flags of municipal buildings will fly at half a bar as a show of pain,” the council said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.