The West

Electrical fault sparks Bunbury shop fire
Electrical fault sparks Bunbury shop fire

An electrical fault in an air-conditioning unit is believed to be at fault for a fire which caused about $30,000 worth of damage to a Bunbury furniture store.

Bunbury Career Fire and Rescue Service station officer Larry Friend said water and structural damage caused an estimated $30,000 damage to Furniture Warehouse yesterday afternoon.

Mr Friend said the electrical fault caused the air-conditioner to catch fire, spreading to the structural sheeting on the roof.

"The air-conditioner collapsed from its mountings into the interior of the building,’’ Mr Friend said.

Firefighters arrived at the store about 5pm to put out the fire and only had to deal with smoke as people in the store had already put out the flames.

“I applaud their efforts but people should consider the risks they may put themselves in, in this sort of incident,” Mr Friend said.

As the fire was caused by an electrical fault, there was the possibility of accidental electrocution if not dealt with correctly.

The power had been turned off in the building before the firefighters arrived at the scene.

After the fire and smoke had been extinguished, firefighters remained on top of the building to monitor the head levels and check the structural strength of the roof.

There have been no reported injuries.

Latest News From The West

Motorists in the US State of Arizona must have thought they had taken a wrong turn and ended up Down Under when an emu was spotted wandering along a highway on Friday afternoon.

One person has died and another suffered serious injuries in a crash around 10km east of the Pardoo Roadhouse in the Pilbara.

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West