Karara Infrastructure is seeking to withdraw its controversial application for a tenement over the Narngulu-Oakajee corridor.
The decision came only days after the June 29 date set by Mining Warden Steve Wilson for the company to provide “further and better particulars” to objectors about its application.
Karara’s investor relations manager Michael Weir said the company’s move resulted from an “unachievable” timeframe set by Mr Wilson at the last hearing into the application, in Geraldton at the end of May.
“Karara has sought to withdraw its application due to the conditions regarding finalisation of commercial access arrangements,” Mr Weir said.
“The conditions were not achievable in the timeframe imposed by the court.
“This tenement was one of many options being considered by Karara and we will now be looking at alternative pathways to get our ore to Oakajee.”
Karara’s lawyers have written to the Mining Warden suggesting that the matter be listed for a mention hearing in Perth with a video-link to Geraldton.
It had previously been listed for mention on August 16 and for a possible five-day hearing beginning on October 16.
The lawyers copied the letter to the 34 objectors who took part in the Warden’s most recent hearing into the application in Geraldton late in May.
One of them is Chapman Valley shire president John Collingwood in his private capacity.
Mr Collingwood said he was pleased with Karara’s decision.
“Really all they could do was to withdraw it because their application was half-hearted,” he said.
“They didn’t prepare their case properly to explain what they expected people to agree to. There was no real consultation.”
A spokesperson for many of the objectors, Tracey Kilpatrick, also welcomed the decision.
“You could not wish for a better outcome,” she said.
“There’s no tenement application sitting over our property and that feels good.
“Karara has obviously appreciated the Warden’s comments that they needed consent from the private landowners.”