View Comments

A 13-year-old girl has been electrocuted while helping her stepfather decorate the home for Christmas.

Georgia Marshall, of Barry in Wales, was holding a metal stepladder for Richard , 54, as he looked for a box of decorations when a live wire from an extension cord touched the ladder.

Georgia was delivered a fatal electric shock.

The BBC reports that an inquest will be held into Georgia's death but police do not consider the circumstances to be suspicious.

Georgia was one of seven children. She loved horseriding and dogs.

Her mother paid tribute to Georgia on her Facebook page, describing her as "my beautiful light" who became a "shining star".

Her sister, Amy Bennett, told BBC: "My mum can barely speak. My dad is blaming himself. My two youngest siblings don't want Christmas."

Georgia's classmates at Bryn Hafren Comprehensive are being offered counselling.

In Australia, Barry is known as the birthplace of former prime minister Julia Gillard.