The West

Man surrendering before jaw broken
Collingwood footballer Marley Williams at the Albany Justice Complex. Picture: Laurie Benson

Update: A man whose jaw was broken by a one-punch hit from Collingwood footballer Marley Williams, was in a “surrendering” position and pleading for no trouble at the time of the incident, the Albany District Court has heard today.

Studio 146 doorman Patrick Cobb claimed Matthew Robertson, who suffered a broken jaw in two places, had put both hands up with palms facing an approaching Mr Williams and said: “I don’t want any trouble”.

The recording of Williams’ interview with police was played to the jury today.

It showed Williams telling police how he had been “intimidated” by Mr Robertson and his friends before being attacked.

Being quizzed by Senior Constable James Knowlson, Williams said he was angry at being confronted and assaulted.

“I walked straight up to him and punched him in the face,” Williams said.

“I got angry because of what happened in the toilets, went outside and hit the guy.

“I was not going to let them feel like they got the better of me.”

Williams told police he had been drinking from noon on Boxing Day until the early hours of the following day, estimating he had consumed six vodka drinks.

Slurring his words slightly, he admitted to the officers that he hit Mr Robertson “fairly hard”.

New video footage from outside the nightclub door, where the incident occurred, was also shown to the court today.

It appeared to show Mr Robertson stepping towards Mr Williams with his arms folded when he was struck.

He immediately walked back towards the nightclub clutching his jaw.

Dr Shahnawaz Khan, who was on duty at Albany hospital that night, confirmed he discovered a double fracture of the victim’s jaw.

Mr Williams has pleaded not guilty to a charge of causing grievous bodily harm. His lawyer Tom Percy has claimed it was “classic self-defence”.

Mr Cobb admitted under questioning from Mr Percy that he could not see Mr Robertson make the surrender motion in the video footage. But he remained adamant had seen the action and heard the plea.

He also agreed Mr Robertson’s friend Ian Parry had appeared to be in a “fighting stance” with both fists clenched as he approached Mr Williams.

Despite his clear view of the incident just metres away, Mr Cobb said he had not been spoken to by police on the night. He did not make a statement to police until eight months after the incident in December, 2012.

He said there was often a scuffle each night at Studio 146, “on a good night”.

The new footage showed Mr Williams being ushered from the scene by his brother Codee after the strike. Mr Parry and Casey Smith are soon seen running after them, with a big group of onlookers following.

Mr Cobb said Mr Parry had “seemed very agitated” as he was ejected from the nightclub.

“I knew there was going to be a struggle when he came outside,” he said.

The trial continues.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

The victim of the Carlisle siege is suing the estate of the man who took her hostage at knife-point in a bid to get compensation for the permanent injuries she suffered during the deadly police …

Qantas and the operators of Perth Airport are poised to strike a deal within days to allow the first non-stop flights from Australia to Europe through the airline’s domestic terminal.

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West