Sydney pool evacuated, three hospitalised after 'strong toxic smell' emerges

Yahoo News Staff
·2-min read

An aquatic centre in Sydney has evacuated 150 people after a “chemical leak” was reported at the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre.

NSW Ambulance and Fire crews were seen at the centre assisting five children and one adult with breathing difficulties after a “strong toxic smell” was reported.

One child and two adults were transported to hospital in a stable condition where they are being monitored as a precaution.

Fire and Rescue NSW respond to a 'toxic smell' at the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre.
Fire and Rescue NSW respond to a 'strong toxic smell' at the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre. Source: Fire and Rescue NSW

"When a patient is exposed to any type of chemical there's always an unknown to the extent of their injury," NSW Ambulance Inspector David Stride said.

The centre revealed an equipment fault in the spa plant room was to blame, leaving hazmat crews to ventilate the centre.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

The site was declared safe after Fire and Rescue NSW managed to isolate the leak and used fans to disperse the vapour cloud.

The centre will remain closed until Tuesday and confirmed the faulty equipment was being repaired.

Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre
150 people were evacyuated from the centre, three were taken to hsoptail in a stable condition. Source: Facebook

“The fire brigade have handed back the site as safe,” the centre said in a statement.

“We will keep the facility closed and re-open on time tomorrow morning. The plant room equipment issue is being fixed this afternoon.”

Yahoo News Australia understand the centre has recently undergone renovations.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.