Scary scenes as families flee cinema after 'poisoning'

Tom Flanagan
·News Reporter
·1-min read

Alarming video shows the moment several people are carried out unconscious from a cinema following a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Terrified family members can be seen rushing to the aid of relatives, who complained of dizziness while others vomited.

The disturbing video, filmed at the cinema in Dongyang in China's Zhejiang province on Wednesday evening, shows people passed out on the ground awaiting medical treatment.

Others are lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.

People inside the theatre passed out from what is believed to be carbon monoxide. Source: Beijing Youth Daily/ Haokan
People inside the theatre passed out from what is believed to be carbon monoxide. Source: Beijing Youth Daily/ Haokan

An immediate investigation was carried out by Dongyang authorities who determined the mystery illness patrons were suffering from was carbon monoxide poisoning following onsite inspections and blood tests, the Xiaoxiang Morning Post reported.

Authorities ordered all 63 people inside the screening be taken to hospital for surveillance.

None of the seriously effected are in a life-threatening condition at this time.

The cinema has been shut down while investigations are ongoing.

Video of the aftermath has been viewed millions of times on Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo.

Many users questioned how such an incident occurred and whether the cinema had adequate ventilation.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when the gas isn't ventilated efficiently inside a sealed room following the combustion of fuel.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often linked to heating, such as gas heaters.

Last year, 16 coal miners died from carbon monoxide poisoning in southwest China.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.