A Queensland pub has expressed its deepest condolences after a woman died while participating in a lamington eating contest during Australia Day celebrations on the weekend.
The event was held at the Beach House Hotel in Hervey Bay on Sunday, when a woman collapsed during the all-you-can-eat contest.
The participants were reportedly required to eat as many lamingtons as possible within a short time frame, with contestants ‘shovelling’ the cake into their mouths.
Tragically, a 60-year-old woman competing in the event choked and was rushed to hospital before being pronounced dead.
“The management and staff of the Beach House Hotel offer our deepest condolences to the friends and family of one of our patrons following the tragic event at our venue on Australia Day,” the pub wrote on its Facebook page Monday.
“We acknowledge and thank our supportive patrons, staff, and the Queensland Ambulance Service for their prompt and professional response while this tragic incident was unfolding.
“The hotel staff have been offered professional support while our thoughts firmly remain with the family at this challenging time.”
The Queensland Ambulance Service told Yahoo News Australia the 60-year-old woman was rushed to Hervey Bay hospital as paramedics performed CPR on her for 30 minutes but they were unable to save her.
The festivities, which also included a pie eating competition, were done in collaboration with the nearby Top of the Bay Bakery which also expressed its heartfelt condolences to the woman’s family.
One witness who attended the pub recalled the shocking moment on Facebook.
“Sadly a lady died during the lamington eating competition,” she wrote.
“This lady shovelled the lamington into her mouth with no restraint... inhaled the coconut and arrested.
“The pub was very quick to respond with CPR, and the ambulance rocked up... working on her for over half an hour. It didn't look good.”
One witness told News Corp that she noticed the woman dribbling and called an ambulance.
“I was filming and just as my friend finished I noticed she was dribbling so I rang 000 as she fell to the ground. I was talking to 000 until they arrived,” she said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.