A popular clothing brand has urgently recalled products from their adult, children, and infant clothing lines over a serious sun safety risk.
A number of clothing items and sun face mask line by the retailer have been labelled incorrectly.
The products indicate that they have a protective UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) level of 50+, however, they may only have a UPF of just 17.5.
A product safety recall by the ACCC states that those who wear the wrongly labelled clothing may be exposed to “irreversible” skin damage.
“If the products do not offer the indicated level of protection, the wearer may be exposed to greater levels of UV radiation than expected,” it said on the ACCC website.
“This may lead to sunburn and may pose a risk of serious and sometimes irreversible damage to skin.”
Men's, women's and children's clothing all impacted
The clothing products recalled were from a range of men’s, women’s, children's, and infant clothing, available at a range of retailers.
The items include a range of Tropic Comfort Tops, Capilene Cool Daily Tops and the Capilene Cool Daily Sun Mask.
The affected clothing was sold across Patagonia stores nationally and online between April 1, 2019 and June 7, 2021.
You can see a full list of the recalled clothing items, here.
The ACCC has advised customers who purchased any of the recalled items to visit www.patagonia.com.au or the place of purchase to organise a return and a full refund or credit for the product.
Consumers can also contact Patagonia on 1800 326 889 or email email@example.com.
Weet-Bix forced to issue urgent recall
It's not the first time an urgent recall has been issued for an item which could cause users harm.
Recently, Weet-Bix was forced to issue a recall of an item given away in a promotion.
The ACCC issued a warning about the “Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials Bowl Giveaway” promotion which involved entrants who purchased Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials products.
Entrants were told to scan a QR code to go into an online draw for a Weet-Bix spoon and bowl.
However, the consumer watchdog said the spoon is a choking hazard.
“If the tip separates from the handle, it can pose a choking hazard for young children, which can lead to severe injury or death,” it said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org