SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Weet-Bix issues urgent recall of cereal giveaway

An urgent recall has been issued for a Weet-Bix promotional giveaway.

The consumer watchdog has warned about the “Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials Bowl Giveaway” promotion which involved entrants who purchased Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials products.

Entrants were told to scan a QR code to go into an online draw for a Weet-Bix spoon and bowl.

A stock image of a Weet-Bix cereal boxes.
A Weet-Bix promo spoon has been recalled over fears it's a choking hazard. Source: AAP (file pic)

However, the consumer watchdog said the spoon is a choking hazard.

“If the tip separates from the handle, it can pose a choking hazard for young children, which can lead to severe injury or death,” it said.

“Consumers should immediately stop using the spoon and place it in a safe and secure spot that is not accessible by children.

“A new silicon spoon will be sent to affected consumers as a replacement together with a reply-paid satchel and a direction to return the original spoon.”

A Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials Bowl Giveaway spoon is pictured.
There are concerns the Weet-Bix Little Kids Essentials Bowl Giveaway spoon is a choking hazard. Source: Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

The promotion ran from April 26 until May 16.

The spoons were distributed to winners between May 18-25.

Footy beanie recalled over choking fears

The consumer watchdog last week issued a recall for the Maroons rugby league light up beanie over concerns the battery compartment is not "adequately secured" and the button battery could be easily accessed by small children.

"If young children gain access to the button battery and ingest it, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death," the consumer watchdog said.

"In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children.

The beanies were sold at Country Bank Stadium in Townsville on June 9 for State of Origin.

"Consumers should immediately stop using the beanie and ensure it is kept out of reach of children," the consumer watchdog said.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.