Nottingham – along with the nearby areas of Broxtowe, Gelding and Rushcliffe – will move into tier 3 coronavirus restrictions on Thursday.
It comes amid spiralling infection rates in the region, with 451 cases per 100,000 population recorded in Nottingham between October 16 and October 22.
More than 1,500 new cases of coronavirus were recorded in the city between these dates.
🚨COVID-19 Tier 3 announcement 🚨 #Broxtowe, Nottingham, Gedling & Rushcliffe Council areas will move to Tier 3 #COVID-19 restrictions following discussions with the Government. These measures come into force at 00:01am on Thursday 29th October.
— Broxtowe Borough Council (@broxtowebc) October 26, 2020
The measures, which were shared by Broxtowe Council on Twitter, will be formally announced on Tuesday. The new rules follow discussions between the government and council leaders.
In a shared statement, the council leaders said the new measures had been designed to reduce infection rates and “help protect our vulnerable residents, the NHS and social care services”.
“A package of support similar to those secured in other parts of the country has been agreed to help residents and businesses who will be impacted by the new restrictions.”
Nottingham East MP Nadia Whittome said it was “regrettable” that Nottingham would enter the highest level of restrictions.
“This situation was totally avoidable had we had a proper track and trace system in place, and had the government given people financial support to stay at home, instead of encouraging the reopening of workplaces and social spaces before this system was fully functional,” the Labour backbencher said.
“Nottingham City Council is clear that the government’s proposals are not adequate to cover the costs of protecting health, livelihoods and businesses in Nottingham.”
Whittome added: “While we await further detail and clarity on the proposals, the government...