Ross Coulthart couldn’t resist asking Nigella Lawson about that divisive Aussie favourite, Vegemite, during their chat.
But unlike most non-Australians who turn their nose up at the stuff, Nigella mentioned she’d actually included it in a simple pasta recipe she sometimes cooks for her kids.
Here it is, as she lists it on her website:
SPAGHETTI WITH VEGEMITE/MARMITE
• 375 Grams spaghetti (dried)
• 50 Grams unsalted butter
• 1 Teaspoon Marmite or more to taste
• 1 A sprinkling of Parmesan cheese to serve
1. Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water, according to the packet instructions.
2. When the pasta is almost cooked, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the Marmite and 1 tablespoon of the pasta water, mixing thoroughly to dissolve. Reserve 1/2 a cup of pasta water; then drain the pasta and pour the Marmite/Vegemite mixture over the drained spaghetti, adding a little reserved pasta water to amalgamate if required. Serve with plenty of grated Parmesan cheese.
3. For vegetarians, replace the Parmesan cheese with a vegetarian alternative.
This recipe originally appeared in Nigella’s book Kitchen.
CONTACT SUNDAY NIGHT