'Made my gums bleed': Woman makes disturbing find in Coles sushi

A Sydney woman has complained that she bit into sushi from Coles and it caused her gums to bleed.

In a post to the supermarket’s Facebook page, the woman claimed she bit into a sushi roll bought from a store in Sydney on Sunday.

She said she found “sharp plastic pieces” in her food, which hurt her teeth and were sharp enough to make her gums bleed.

“Thank God I didn’t swallow it. How can I report this and what should I do?,” her post read.

Photo of sharp plastic pieces found in Coles sushi bought in Sydney.
A shopper claimed sharp pieces of plastic were in sushi she bought from Coles. Source: Facebook

“Pretty shocked, definitely not having sushi for a while again.”

The alleged affected Japanese delicacy appeared to be “smoked salmon sushi munch box” which was on clearance for $3.50.

The supermarket told Yahoo News Australia it was following up the matter with the customer.

“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously,” a spokeswoman said.

“We have contacted the customer and will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter.

”As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”

In December, another customer claimed she found a screw in a Coles bread roll.

Last week, the retailer recalled its own brand of Mobile USB Wall Chargers due to concerns it could cause users to experience an electric shock.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunesorGoogle Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting