'Hero' boatie who saved tangled whale faces fine

Yahoo News Staff
·3-min read

A man who is being lauded for his heroic act of rescuing a baby whale trapped in a Gold Coast shark net could face a hefty fine.

The man used a tinny to rescue the whale calf trapped in nets off Burleigh Heads on Tuesday morning, as fisheries authorities delayed their own rescue of the distressed mammal.

"I saw the whale and I thought, 'That is pretty cool'. Then I saw he was in the net and I thought, 'That is not cool'," the rescuer, who asked not to be named, told reporters.

A man in a tinny pulls up to rescue a whale trapped in shark nets off Burleigh Heads.
The man tries to rescue the whale trapped in a shark nets off Burleigh Heads. Source: Envoy Cull

Dramatic vision filmed by documentary makers shows the man take off his shirt and don swimming fins before diving into the water. He uses his knife to free the baby whale's pectoral fin from the net which was cutting into its flesh.

"He was about eight to nine metres deep. Because of the adrenalin my heart was just pumping," he said, describing his repeated resurfacing,” he said.

It's unknown how long the calf – believed to be a humpback – had been trapped.

It was spotted about 7am by a drone operator, and a crew from the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries arrived at the scene at 9.45am.

However, the man had already rescued the whale and sent it on its way, drawing a cheer from a crowd of onlookers who had gathered on the cliffs above the water.

"Yeah I'm in trouble. I wasn't going out there to see whales. It was an expensive day but whatever ... you pay the price sometimes. I didn't think about what the fine was," he said.

Queensland Fisheries has confirmed it is investigating but says no fine has yet been issued.

The maximum fine for interfering with shark nets is $26,900.

A man speaks on camera about rescuing a whale off Burleigh Heads.
The whale rescuer claims he's been fined. Source: Nine News

Minister says man’s heroic act was risky

Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said the rescue was incredibly risky but said reports of the man being fined were “incorrect”.

"It is dangerous equipment. We have unfortunately seen the loss of life when people have themselves become entangled in this equipment," he said.

"It will be up to the department to consider whether this gentleman will be prosecuted."

Sea Shepherd campaigner Jonathan Clark said the man's actions were brave.

The conservation group is calling on the government to remove shark nets as the whales head north for their annual migration to warmer waters.

A man, in flippers and togs, frees a whale trapped in shark nets off Burleigh Heads.
The freed whale swims away. Source: Envoy Cull

"Their removal during the whale migration season would be a good start and could be accompanied by the serious proving of other technologies such as drones," Mr Clark said.

The state government's shark control program has been mired in controversy for years.

Aspects of the program were successfully challenged in court last year by the Humane Society, which argued catching and killing sharks did not reduce the risk of an unprovoked attack.

However, a number of shark nets and drumlines were reintroduced along the Queensland coastline in a reported attempt to stem a drop in tourism numbers following a string of attacks, one of which was fatal.

The amended program encourages the release of most sharks but allows state contractors to kill sharks if necessary.

with AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.