Retired AFL star Dane Swan has issued a statement after an explicit video in which he features was circulated online.
Swan lodged a formal complaint with police on Thursday after the video was distributed on social media and shopped to numerous news outlets.
The Ex-Collingwood champion confirmed that he is in the video, saying it was shot “a long time ago.”
“I have recently become aware of a video of me being published and circulated on the internet,” Swan said.
“Contrary to some media reports, the video is not a ‘sex tape’.
“Although the video has taken a ling time ago, it has been posted and distributed only recently. It was taken and distributed without my consent. The distribution is a gross invasion of my privacy.
“I have reported the matter to police, who are investigating the distribution.”
Victoria Police confirmed they had opened an investigation earlier on Thursday.
“Prahran police are investigating after a video was distributed electronically and online.
“The video was posted without consent.”
Swan played 258 games for Collingwood before retiring in 2016.
AFL great Sam Newman launched an impassioned defence of Swan on Thursday night.
“You should have no problem with Dane Swan. The person you should be speaking to and vehemently attacking is the person that let that video go,” Newman said on 3AW Radio.
“He has done absolutely nothing wrong. The only person that he has to square anything with, like with any of these things, is his closest friends or his partner.
“Other than that, he has done absolutely nothing wrong.
“It is the duty of anyone investigating this to come down heavily on people who make salacious videos with the view to ingratiating themselves on social media.
“It’s about the most dishonest thing you can do because you’re exploiting someone.”
It is in an offence in Victoria to distribute pornographic images without consent of those involved.
The penalty is up to two years in prison.