Father claims baby found dead on beach was 'possessed by demons'

The father of a baby girl found dead on a Queensland beach claimed she was ‘possessed by demons’.

Friends say the little girl was shuffled back and forth across the border between Queensland and New South Wales before the nine-month-old’s body was found washed up on the beach on Monday.

It has since been established that the girl’s death took place on the New South Wales side of the border, meaning NSW Police will take over from Queensland investigators.

Police divers from two separate states have searched Queensland’s Tweed River following the death of a little baby girl. Source: 7 News

But it is Queensland’s Department of Child Safety that has been  slammed for failing to act to prevent the tragedy, despite knowing that the child and its parents were homeless.

“If this baby was living in a tent, on a beach, and child services knew about it, what the hell were they doing leaving that child there?” Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said.

The Queensland Minister for Children refused to reveal what they knew about the family’s circumstances.

“Our officers spend every waking hour with the safety of our children their utmost priority,” Minister for Children Di Farmer said.

A makeshift memorial at the site where the little girl’s body was found. Source: 7 News

On Tuesday police divers from Queensland and NSW spent hours searching the Tweed River for clues about the little girl’s sad final days.

NSW Police detectives are expected to travel to Queensland on Wednesday to seek the extradition of a man as part of the investigation into her death.

On Tuesday police divers spent hours searching for clues about the little girl’s sad final days. Source: 7 News

It is anticipated he will return to NSW where he will be charged with a warrant.

“Whilst investigators from Tweed/Byron Police District will lead the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death, they will continue to work closely with Queensland Police Service detectives,” NSW Police said in a statement on Tuesday night.