Dog left home on his own nearly burns down house with microwave

A husky has started a kitchen fire in his owner’s home after accidentally turning the microwave on.

The husky, who was left on his own in a house in Stanford-Le-Hope, east of London on Monday (local time), reached up to a kitchen worktop to turn on the appliance, Essex Fire Service said in a statement.

A packet of bread rolls inside the microwave began to burn, causing a small fire in the kitchen on Monday.

The owner wasn’t at the semi-detached two-storey home at the time, but received an alert about the fire on an app on his mobile phone.

A husky nearly burned down his owner's home after getting to the microwave. Source: Getty Images (file pic)

He was able to view the fire through a live-feed from a camera installed in the home.

Firefighters were called to put out the blaze and the dog was unharmed.

Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station, described the incident as “very strange” 

“It could still have been more serious,” he said.

"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke.”

Firefighters advised keeping microwaves clean and clear of any clutter. Source: Getty Images (file pic)

Mr Wheal said firies made sure the damage didn’t spread beyond the kitchen.

“But it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use,” he said.

"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.

“Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."

Yahoo! UK

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.