Five teenagers have been injured in a horrific car crash in Sydney’s south-west, with chilling photos showing the mangled wreckage after rescue services cut apart the vehicle to free one of the passenger’s trapped inside.
The Honda Accord carrying the five teens smashed into a pole on Stoney Creek Road in the suburb of Beverly Hills around 6am on Friday, NSW Police said.
Two 16-year-old girls were treated by paramedics and taken to St George Hospital in a stable condition.
Two teenage boys — aged 15 and 16 — were also treated by paramedics and taken to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition.
Fire and Rescue NSW said they were forced “to cut apart the vehicle to free one of the teens, who was a back seat passenger”.
It’s understood firefighters cut off the back doors to set the 16-year-old passenger free, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Photos show the warped doors hanging from the car's frame, with a bloody tissue stuck to the bottom.
The 18-year-old male driver — who police say was a suspended learner — suffered minor injuries and was taken to Liverpool Hospital for mandatory testing.
An investigation is underway into the circumstances surrounding the crash, which occurred just over a week after five schoolmates were killed in a crash in Buxton, a small town near Picton in NSW.
Driver cries out after crash: 'What have I done?'
Witnesses have told Daily Mail Australia that the 18-year-old driver was seen muttering to himself after emerging from the wreckage on Friday morning.
“What have I done? What have I done?” he was heard saying.
Glen Norrish, whose home sits directly in front of where the car crash occurred, told the publication he woke up to an “almighty bang” before trying to help the two teen girls, who were on the ground.
“One had a pretty bad cut on her neck, the other was just laying there and I kept on saying ‘keep your eyes open’,” he said.
“The girl with the cut on her neck who was screaming, I think she also hurt her neck.”
Mr Norrish said he believed speed was a factor in the accident, deeming the area “a bad stretch of road”.
Police issue stern warning: 'Absolute idiots'
Police have issued a stern warning to young drivers following the horrific crash.
“We have a direct correlation to what happened just days ago at Buxton, we are most fortunate that we didn’t lose another five lives in these circumstances,” Assistant Commissioner Brett McFadden said, the Daily Telegraph reported.
“It comes back to the drivers — in both instances we have two 18-year-old drivers, these are adults that are taking responsibility for young people in their car.
“We shouldn’t be aspiring to be driving like these absolute idiots on the road.”
The assistant commissioner said just two days after the Buxton crash last week, officers stopped an 18-year-old P-plater caught travelling at 191km with two passengers in the car.
“We were able to stop and prevent any tragedy from happening for that one [but] unfortunately, we can‘t be there all the time for everybody, so it’s a community challenge that we need to actually work on here,” he said.
Anyone with information or dashcam footage about the Beverly Hills incident is urged to contact police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.