A new CHOICE review of 37 dark chocolates has found the Aldi Just Organic 70% to be one of the best out there, but you may be surprised by what block took out the top spot.
“Our experts conducted a blind taste test of 37 dark chocolate blocks that you can find in the aisles of major supermarket chains,” CHOICE Senior Food Journalist Rachel Clemons said.
“The chocolates were judged on flavour, texture, aroma, and appearance. The nutritional value of the chocolate was also included in the overall score,” says Clemons.
The $2.79 Aldi Just Organic 70% Dark Chocolate received an expert rating of 78% and was commended by the experts for its “unique nature”.
“The aroma of this chocolate has some floral and roasted notes, and it’s got a good cocoa flavour,” Rachel said.
Taking out top spot was a one of the darkest chocolate blocks out there - one that’s not for everyone - the Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa. It was voted best for both taste and nutrition.
“Our experts commended the Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa chocolate, which scored first place for its pleasant taste, shiny appearance and smooth texture,” she adds.
These are the 11 dark chocolates that scored the highest in Choice testing:
1. Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa - 79%
2. Aldi Just Organic 70% Dark Chocolate - 78%
3. Pico Super Dark 85% Cocoa Single Origin - 74%
4. Lindt Excellence Smooth Blend 70% Cocoa - 73%
5. Lindt Excellence 95% Cocoa - 73%
6. Aldi Moser Roth Finest Dark 70% Cocoa - 73%
7. Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa - 72%
8. Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa - 72%
9. Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa - 72%
10.Green & Black's Smooth Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa - 71%
11. Whittaker's 92% Cocoa Ghana Intense Dark Chocolate - 70%