NSW police have announced a one million dollar reward for information that leads to the recovery of missing toddler William Tyrrell.
Police are offering the largest monetary reward in NSW history, in a desperate plea for information in the hunt for the missing toddler.
So far, there have been more than 2800 reports and 1078 sightings reported in regards to William.
In a statement on Monday, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione announced the one million dollar reward, which has been described as "very generous".
Commissioner Scipione welcomed the reward and thanked the NSW Government for their ongoing support and assistance to police investigations.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates the NSW Government’s commitment to providing the NSW Police Force with everything that might be required to bring answers to families impacted by unsolved crimes,” the Commissioner said.
“This is a unique reward, it does not require the charge and conviction of any person(s), it relates to the recovery of William Tyrrell.
“By offering a reward at this point in the investigation, we are appealing directly to those who know something but have not previously been inclined to assist.
“If you know something, there are now a million reasons to come forward.
“I have complete faith in the Strike Force Rosann team, and urge those who know what happened to William to get in touch with police now; don’t wait for us to come to you,” the Commissioner said.
“We see this million dollar reward as a big tool," Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin said.
Lead investigator Jubelin said the reward was not for an arrest but the recovery of the little boy.
“To put the past two years into perspective, I can tell you police have received almost 3000 calls through Crime Stoppers, there have been more than 1000 alleged sightings in NSW, and another 300 around Australia or overseas; hundreds of persons of interest and hundreds more potential vehicles of interest nominated, more than 11,000 investigative reports completed, more than 450 addresses canvassed, and more than 300 statements obtained,” Det Ch Insp Jubelin said.
Police have said it’s only a matter of time before we find out what has happened to William.
As part of the announcement of the reward, police are reminding the community they welcome potential sightings, but urged the use of common sense.
“Remember, two years has passed; William is now five-years-old and highly unlikely to be wearing a Spiderman outfit,” Det Ch Insp Jubelin said.
“We are seeking specific information from the community – it’s most important for those who know something about what happened to William Tyrrell to tell someone.
“Someone knows what happened: you might not be the one who took him, but you know, and you might not be the only person who knows,” Det Ch Insp Jubelin said.
About 10.30am on Friday 12 September 2014, William, then aged three, was playing in the yard of his grandmother’s home on Benaroon Drive, Kendall, when he disappeared.
Within a few short hours, hundreds of local residents and emergency service workers combined to search the rural township, looking in forests, creeks and paddocks for the boy.
The speed and coordination of that local search allowed police to form the view very quickly that William had been kidnapped.
Strike Force Rosann have reportedly received information on close to 600 persons of interest in relation to the disappearance.
It’s been previously reported William could have been the target of a pedophile ring.
William’s parents have been ruled out as suspects.
The toddler would have turned five this year.