Woman's 'bloody gross' find in Cadbury Freddo Frog chocolate

Brooke Rolfe
·News Reporter
·2-min read

Stomach-churning video showing maggots and dozens of tiny bugs crawling through a Cadbury chocolate and its packaging has been shared online. 

The skin-crawling footage was posted on Sunday after a woman opened a Freddo Frog from a share pack purchased from Sydney's Bondi Beach Woolworths a few weeks ago.

Two disturbing videos featured a live maggot — one worming its way through the inside of the wrapper and the other across a piece of chocolate.

A Freddo Frog package pictured with dozens of bugs in it on the left, and on the right is a photo of what appeared to be maggots on a chocolate.
A Freddo Frog package was contaminated with dozens of bugs and what appeared to be maggots. Source: Facebook

The pack was still within its 2022 expiry date, the mum of the woman who purchased it told Yahoo News Australia. 

She claimed Cadbury had offered her $25 as compensation "for eating maggots". 

More than 100 people responded to the gross footage, which was described by one person as "utterly disgusting". 

"That is bloody gross and I would be traumatised," one person wrote in a comment. 

"Disgusting — thanks for sharing. $25 is not enough, I agree. Lucky you noticed before opening and eating and getting sick — completely and utterly gross," another wrote. 

Some people said the woman was being overly dramatic and argued $25 was more than fair compensation. 

"Get over it. Bad shit happens, there's children starving in Africa, and kids with cancer. Put it in the bin and get over it," one person responded. 

Someone else said a similar thing happened to him once and he chose to just throw the chocolate away, and not worry about telling the company. 

"I didn't eat it, threw it away, understood that s*** sometimes happens, didn't feel entitled to anything, recognised I was a bit unlucky on that occasion and moved on with my life," he wrote. 

Cadbury says product 'affected in transit or storage'

A Cadbury spokesperson said it was likely a breed of moth had entered the chocolate while being stored.

“We’re sorry to hear about their experience. Our dedicated teams work hard to ensure our products are in the best possible condition when they’re enjoyed by our consumers," they told Yahoo News Australia.

“Based on the pictures, it looks like Warehouse or Indian Meal Moths have entered the product in storage. These bugs are common around the world and can gain access to a range of different food products including dried fruit, nuts, pasta, and bread without visibly damaging the packaging.

“We put in place a range of measures at our distribution centres to minimise the risk of these common bugs entering our packaging, and work closely with stores and transport companies to help them maintain an environment that minimises the risk. However, on this occasion, it looks like the product has been affected in transit or storage.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Storeor Google Play.