Woman, 31, dies after mistaking marble polish for bottle of water

·2-min read

A 31-year-old hotel worker has died after drinking marble polish left next to a bottle of water.

The tragic incident took place at Hitit Hotel in the district of Selcuk, in the western Turkish province of Izmir, on Monday evening (local time).

Ozde Civici, who worked in the public relations department, went to deliver some promotional brochures for hotel's New Year's Eve party and later returned to the office in need of a drink.

She saw a plastic bottle on her desk and, presuming it was her water, took a gulp from it.

Ms Civici vomited straight away and her colleagues called for medical assistance.

Ozde Civici is pictured in two photos. She died after ingesting marble polish, mistaking it for a bottle of water.
Ozde Civici, 31, died after accidentally ingesting marble polish, mistaking it for a bottle of water. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

She was taken to the Selcuk State Hospital by paramedics who arrived at the scene and when her condition worsened, she was transferred to another hospital in Izmir.

But despite their best efforts, medical staff were unable to save the woman's life and her body was sent to the Forensic Medicine Institute for a post-mortem.

The highly toxic polish severely damaged her internal organs soon after she drank it, local media reported.

Police opened an investigation into the woman’s death and checked her office, concluding a bottle of marble polish had been left alongside the water.

Investigators took statements from hotel workers as well as an unnamed marble setter and they are now under investigation for possible negligence, according to local reports.

The investigation into the worker's death is ongoing.

– Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting