Board to have final say on Garlett
Board to have final say on Garlett

Swan Districts will decide at a board meeting tonight whether to welcome troubled youngster Dayle Garlett back into the fold.

The club submitted a formal request to the WA Football Commission yesterday morning asking for the 20-year-old to be re-listed as a Swans player, less than 24 hours after Garlett sensationally quit Hawthorn.

But the Swans board will have the final say over whether it wants Garlett, rated one of the most talented prospects in the country, back at the club after he threw away his AFL career.

Swans football operations manager Phil Smart said the club was yet to speak to Garlett.

"It's probably even a board decision, not a football decision," Smart said.

"It's something we'd need to discuss at senior level at the club and find out what Dayle wants to do because we don't know what's taken place since he's left the club.

"As far as we know, Dayle might not want to play footy at all.

"Obviously, we would sit down and talk with him and go from there."

Garlett asked to be released from his playing contract with Hawthorn on Tuesday, saying in a statement that he had found it tough sticking to the club's disciplines and being away from family and friends.

_The West Australian _understands Garlett frustrated the Hawks with his off-field behaviour, which included late-night partying.

Last year's No.38 draft pick had been challenged by Hawthorn's leadership group to change his ways, but instead requested personal leave and returned to Perth earlier this month.

The one major concern could be the influence a returning Garlett would potentially have on the younger players Swans are keen to promote this season.

Hawthorn football operations manager Chris Fagan said Garlett would be released from his contract - a move required for him to resume playing in the WAFL this year.

Fagan said the dynamic half-forward may live to regret his decision to quit AFL ranks just four months into his career.

"He might, but that's the reality I guess," Fagan said.

"But that's all learning for Dayle; he's got to look at the decisions that he makes and the consequences that there are for those decisions.

"Hopefully he will learn from the experience that he's just had and, as I say, we would love nothing more than to see him really pursue his football career down the track when he's ready and when he's mature enough."

Fagan confirmed that Hawthorn had counselled Garlett about being late to training, arriving at training in poor condition and about his social media habits since Christmas.

He said the club tried to convince Garlett to remain on the list, but didn't regret drafting him despite being unable to replace him this year.

"We're actually really proud of the fact that we gave Dayle Garlett an opportunity," Fagan said.

"We think his talent was well worth it."

"It's something we'd need to discuss at senior level at the club …""Swans football operations manager *Phil Smart *

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West