Bassendean wipes all links to Harris
Bassendean wipes all links to Harris

Bassendean council last night voted to strip the town of all traces of its disgraced former favourite son Rolf Harris.

The council met behind closed doors to decide what to do with the many tributes it has to "The Boy from Bassendean"

The 84-year-old will be sentenced tomorrow at Southwark Crown Court, where he was convicted of 12 indecent assault charges on Monday.

He has been warned to expect a prison sentence.

Bassendean mayor John Gangell last night confirmed the council had decided to take down its Harris artworks, rip up a plaque outside his childhood home and strip the entertainer of his freeman status.

A portrait of Harris was removed from the council chamber earlier this year after Harris was charged.

The council unanimously voted to revoke Harris of his status as a freeman of the town.

The votes to remove his artworks and his bicentennial plaque were split 4-2 and 5-1 respectively.

Mr Gangell said he hoped the Council had made a statement and set an example for the wider community.

“It’s about drawing a line in the sand and sending a message that says, ‘Regardless of who you are, what position you hold and what status you enjoy, if you are convicted of these types of horrendous crimes, it will not be tolerated,’” he said.

“It’s been a very hard week and a very tough week for the Town of Bassendean and also for those who have grown up with Rolf.

“They know his lovely, adorable and very personable persona. What they have to understand is that he used that persona and used his talent as an artist to lure and prey on girls.”

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West