May s shot at revenge on hold
Nathaniel May. Pic: Lincoln Baker/WA News

Bunbury boxer Nathaniel May's desire to put right his only career loss has had to be put on hold after opponent Waylon Law pulled out of their scheduled rematch with a torn bicep.

May will now fight for the WBO Asia Pacific youth title against Indonesian James Mokoginta, who despite being only 23 already has a record of 23 wins, 15 losses and two draws.

“That’s boxing, I’m not going to let it upset me too much, I’m still focused on what task I have ahead of me, my team and management will keep my dreams alive," May said.

Law squeezed home past May in a six-round super-featherweight thriller in Queensland earlier this year and CDL Boxing Promotions said the rematch is still set to take in place Perth.

“Both camps have come to an agreement that Nathaniel May v Waylon Law II will be held in Perth as originally scheduled, these things happen, it’s just not meant to be for this card," promoter Ty Colman said.

“Although the fight with Waylon has been postponed the new challenge set by the WBO of James Mokoginta poses to be a cracker of a main event still, he is a very experienced youth with over 200 professional rounds under his belt already.

"He has fought all over the Asia Pacific region and been quite an active boxer for such a young age of only 23 years old."

May will face Mokoginta at the WA Italian Club on August 29 on CDL's "Fighting for Kira" show - an event to assist young leukaemia sufferer Kira Joyce, who will turn three on the day of the fight.

Other fighters set to feature are Jamie Weetch, Riccardo Monteleone, Renato Oliviera, Daniel McGlashan, Erin McGowan, Lousia Hawton and TV personality/pro boxer Lauryn Eagle.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

More from The West