View Comments
Family in shock after fire
Fire crews at the scene last night. Picture: Ben Crabtree/The West Australian

A Waikiki family has been left devastated and in shock after a blaze tore through their Murchison Road home last night.

Neighbours described large flames and watched as firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported at about 9.30pm.

It took firefighters two hours to bring the suspicious blaze under control.

It is believed the family were not at home at the time of the fire.

Neighbours in the quiet suburban street said it was a devastating blow for the young family so close to Christmas.

"I'm relieved they're OK but it's pretty traumatic," one neighbour, who did not want to be named, said.

Another neighbour described seeing flames on the roof and hearing popping noises.

"I've never seen so many fire engines," he said.

The value of the damage was not known last night.

Arson squad officers are questioning a man over the blaze.