After eliminating the coronavirus in the state, with no new infections for more than 60 days, Tasmania has recorded a new coronavirus case.
Earlier on Monday, Premier Peter Gutwein said further testing was being done, after it was revealed authorities were investigating a potential case in the island state’s south.
The state's public health department confirmed on Monday night a young woman who returned from Victoria had tested positive.
She was in hotel quarantine and was being treated in the Royal Hobart Hospital.
Further information about the woman is expected to be revealed on Tuesday.
"I've said to Tasmanians on many occasions, we will see positive cases," Premier Peter Gutwein said.
"Importantly, this one has been picked up in our hotel quarantine."
Tasmania banned the entry of non-essential travellers from Victoria but residents are allowed to return home from the virus-hit mainland state, provided they quarantine in government accommodation for two weeks.
The last recorded COVID-19 infection in Tasmania was more than 60 days ago, with the new infection taking the state's overall number of cases to 227.
Prior to the new case being identified, Tasmania was free from active coronavirus cases.
More than 600 people are currently in government-operated quarantine facilities and about 1,000 are self-isolating at home.
Mr Gutwein has urged people to maintain social distancing measures, saying the biggest challenge the state faces is complacency.
"We are in a good place, compared to Victoria, NSW, and the challenges they are facing," he said.
Mr Gutwein is expected on Friday to give an update on the state's border, which has been shut to the mainland since March and will stay closed until at least July 31.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.