Coronavirus SA: Questions raised as Covid cluster grows again

Yahoo News Staff
·2-min read

South Australia's worrying Covid-19 cluster has continued to grow, with a man in his 40’s confirmed to have the virus.

The man is a close contact linked to the Parafield cluster.

It follows news late yesterday of a teenage student from Woodville High School who has tested positive after picking up a pizza from the Woodville Pizza Bar. That case has also been linked to the Parafield cluster from an "epidemiological point of view", according to Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier.

All staff and students of Woodville High School on Wednesday went into immediate isolation, along with all members of their households.

South Australian Chief public health officer Nicola Spurrier.
South Australia Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier speaks to the media at the State Administration centre in Adelaide. Source: AAP

"It looks as though she (the student) has had an exposure at the Woodville Pizza Bar, having picked up a pizza on November 14, which indeed was an infectious period and we knew there were people that were there that were infected," Dr Spurrier confirmed on Thursday.

"So it's very, very important for anybody now in that Woodville area, particularly if you frequent that pizza bar, to really look back at our website and the dates that we know people were infectious and absolutely think 'do I need to get tested?'"

‘I won't be pointing a finger of blame’

The school remains closed and anyone who attended on Monday, November 23, has been ordered to isolate immediately with their families.

Professor Spurrier said while all people who went to the pizza bar had previously been asked to isolate, she was pleased the school student who attended school on Monday, had come forward to get tested.

“The important thing is if you did get a pizza from that pizza bar and you haven't been tested, now is the time to do so. I can tell you 100 per cent, I will back you and I won't be pointing a finger of blame,” she said

"I am strongly of the belief that nothing has been done that was wrong," she aded.

It was thought the case was linked to the Parafield cluster, which brought the number of linked cases to 31.

One woman remains in hospital but she is in a stable condition.

About 4,800 people linked with the Adelaide cluster are now in quarantine.

with AP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.