A shark attack victim has made a desperate plea for help after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria.
Blaine Shelton, from Texas in the US, was left with a huge wound on his leg after being attacked earlier this month while swimming at Crystal Beach.
He managed to swim to shore and a friend called for help. He believes his attacker was likely a two-metre bull shark, Khou11 reported.
Shortly after being released from hospital, Mr Shelton started experiencing extreme pain in his leg.
The 42-year-old construction worker said he was now being treated for flesh-eating bacteria around the wound.
“I’d heard there was bacteria in the water, I just never treated it serious. But to tell you the truth, if you’ve got a scratch on your arm or your leg, I wouldn’t get in that water,” he said.
- ‘I would get off any way I could’: Mystery over woman’s cruise ship fall deepens
“And if you do, bring some alcohol with you to clean it the second you get out. It’s nothing to play with.”
Mr Shelton said his hospital bills were in excess of $40,000.
“I’m not able to work because of my injuries,” he wrote on his GoFundMe page.