Prince Harry could be forced to relinquish his Duke of Sussex title

Sarah Carty
Features & Style Editor
Prince Harry may have to relinquish his Duke of Sussex title. Photo: Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shocked fans when they decided to up sticks and leave the royal family back in February, quitting their jobs as senior royals and moving overseas to Canada. 

However, now it’s been revealed that the Sussexes have already bid farewell to Canada and set their sights on the bright lights of Hollywood, with the couple reportedly chartering a private jet to LA last week to set up home in California. 

Now, it’s being claimed that Prince Harry may have to relinquish his Duke of Sussex title if the couple want to stay in LA for good, as the USA Oath of Allegiance contains a “Naturalization Act” which means any new citizen into the country has to wave goodbye to their noble titles. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shocked fans in February when they revealed they were moving to Canada. Photo: Getty Images

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen,” the Oath of Allegiance reads. 

Prince Harry would be able to apply for a Green Card in three years, while his wife, Meghan Markle is a citizen of the US and their son, Archie is a dual citizen of both the US and the UK. 

The couple have been based on Vancouver Island in Canada since stepping back from royal duties but sources told People magazine over the weekend that they have now settled in the US with their 10-month-old son Archie.

Harry and Meghan are said to be living in a secluded compound and haven't yet ventured out due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The family's new location brings them closer to the 38-year-old duchess' mother, Doria Ragland, who lives in the city, as well as a number of friends.

Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Britain's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive on the field prior to the start of the first of a two-game series between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox at London Stadium in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, east London on June 29, 2019. - As Major League Baseball prepares to make history in London, New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone and Boston Red Sox coach Alex Cora are united in their desire to make the ground-breaking trip memorable on and off the field. (Photo by PETER NICHOLLS / POOL / AFP) (Photo credit should read PETER NICHOLLS/AFP via Getty Images)

The news of the move comes after it was previously revealed the duke and duchess had been "looking at houses in LA."

“This move was planned for some time. They realised Canada would not work out for various reasons and they want to be based in the Los Angeles area,” a source told The Sun.

“They have a big support network there. It’s where their new team of Hollywood agents and PRs and business managers are based. Meghan has lots of friends there and, of course, her mum Doria.”

Earlier this week, it was claimed the couple have also been making plans to build a $6 million (£3 million) house in Oxfordshire, South East England, close to their favourite private members retreat Soho Farmhouse.

Non-members can stay at the Cotswolds estate - which is where the duchess had her three-day hen party before marrying Prince Harry in 2018 - so the couple's guests will be able to stay nearby.

The property will be near a country home being built for David and Victoria Beckham and Harry and Meghan - who are said to be paying for the abode out of their own pockets - are planning a three-bedroom abode with its own drive.

With extra reporting by Bang Showbiz

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.