Panel heater sold at Bunnings recalled over potentially deadly fire risk

·3-min read

A panel heater sold at Bunnings stores across Australia has been recalled amid fears a default could cause "serious injury or death".

The Mill Electrical Convection Panel Heater 2000W with the model numbers AU SG2000LED and AU SG2000LED BK were sold at Bunnings from July 5, 2021 to July 20 this year, according to Product Safety Australia.

"The supply cord is inadequately anchored to the appliance and if pulled it may become detached from the unit or become loose," the recall alert warns.

"Risk of fire or electric shock causing serious injury or death."

The panel heater sold at Bunnings that has now been recalled.
The panel heater has been recalled amid fears it could spark a fire. Source: Product Safety

Customers have been urged to stop using the heater immediately and unplug it from the power point.

The item can be returned to any Bunnings store for a full refund.

For further information, consumers can contact Arlec Australia Pty Ltd by phone on 03 9982 5111 or email custservice@arlec.com.au.

Bunnings responds to recall

Jen Tucker, Bunnings Director of Merchandise, told Yahoo News Australia the company has been working closely with suppliers to "further investigate claims relating to the Mill 2000W Convection Heater" following a recent heater review conducted by CHOICE.

"We conducted additional third party accredited testing of the units, which found some units did not meet the cord anchorage performance standard," she said.

"This is clearly an unexpected outcome given that the original third party accredited testing undertaken by the suppliers, and our final random inspections of stock, indicated that both heaters met the applicable safety and performance requirements.

Bunnings branding is seen at a store on the Gold Coast. Source: AAP
The heaters were sold at Bunnings from July 5, 2021 to July 20 this year. Source: AAP

"Due to this inconsistency in the cord anchorage testing results, we are supporting the supplier with a recall of the heaters and have withdrawn them from sale.

"Bunnings is advising all customers who have purchased the Mill 2000W Convection Heater during this year or last year, to return it to their local Bunnings store for a full refund of the purchase price.

"We take our commitment to product safety and quality incredibly seriously, we continue to work with our suppliers and relevant authorities on this matter to ensure that our heaters continue to meet our requirements relating to compliance, safety and performance."

Aussies warned of common mistake behind house fire

Earlier this month, a fire investigator issued a dire winter warning about a common yet potentially fatal mistake many families make when heating their homes.

Sutherland Shire resident Kate Faith took to Facebook to raise awareness about the dangers of incorrectly powered heaters and the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

"As a fire investigator, understanding how fires start is so important to prevent more, so I'm up for it," she posted to a local community Facebook group while sharing an example of how a young family made a narrow escape in 2020.

Heater warning after mum wakes up to 3am horror

In June, a Sydney mum-of-two Mae Short woke up in the middle of the night to discover smoke coming from her 17-month-old daughter’s room.

"I woke to her coughing, and when I woke up I could smell the electrical smoke," she told Yahoo News Australia.

"I got up out of bed and just ran to her door. I knew it was coming from her room straight away."

Ms Short and her husband were able to rescue the toddler and flee their home, only to discover later that an overloaded power board with a heater plugged in had started the fire.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.