Mum says shampoo caused chemical burns on daughter's face

A Newcastle mother has claimed a popular brand of shampoo caused painful chemical burns on her young daughter's face.

Jamie Wellings' two-year-old daughter Kaylee broke out in sores and blisters all over her face and neck, which doctors said could take weeks to heal.

The mother claims the rash was caused by the new formula in Sunsilk Pink shampoo.

Two-year-old Kaylee was left with rashes on her face. Source: Facebook
Two-year-old Kaylee was left with rashes on her face. Source: Facebook

"It was all red - I noticed it straight away and I pulled her hair back and was like oh my god," she said.

"It was all lifted off her face - all red and bumpy.

"I was absolutely heartbroken at the fact that a shampoo could possibly do that."

Ms Wellings said she alerted Sunsilk straight away.

Rashes also appeared on the toddlers neck. Source: Facebook
Rashes also appeared on the toddlers neck. Source: Facebook
Ms Wellings said she was heartbroken for Kaylee when she saw the rashes. Source: Facebook
Ms Wellings said she was heartbroken for Kaylee when she saw the rashes. Source: Facebook

"They said 'was she in the bath alone?' and I said 'absolutely not' - You know, you do not leave a two-year-old unattended in a bathtub and that's something I would never do," she said.

Sunsilk told Seven News they are not aware of any other complaints about the product and will arrange for the return of the product so they can understand the underlying cause of the situation.

The mum of four says she wants to warn others about the potential danger but has a clear message for the company.

Ms Wellings said she alerted Sunsilk straight away. Photo: Facebook
Ms Wellings said she alerted Sunsilk straight away. Photo: Facebook
Ms Wellings claims she used the shampoo and it causes rashes on her daughter.  Source: Facebook
Ms Wellings claims she used the shampoo and it causes rashes on her daughter. Source: Facebook

"I think they should take it off the shelf because the new formula is obviously not good," she said.

Doctors say it could take weeks for Kaylee's rash to clear up.

"The doctors said it's definitely a chemical burn so we had to get her some prescription cream to put on her face twice a day," Ms Wellings said.

"It breaks your heart when your little kid is all swollen up and there's nothing you can do about it."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting