The number of daily Covid-19 cases in NSW has bounced back up as Premier Gladys Berejiklian predicted, taking Sydney's concerning outbreak beyond 1000 cases.
Ms Berejiklian confirmed a further 97 locally acquired cases on Friday, up from the 65 reported on Thursday.
Twenty-nine of those were fully infectious in the community, while 17 were partly in the community while infectious.
"This is the number that is concerning," Ms Berejiklian said.
"We really want to stress to everybody, please stay at home... we need people to stop moving around... no matter where you live."
About 75 per cent of new cases occurred in the western local government area of Fairfield.
There have now been 1026 cases since the virus was detected in Sydney's eastern suburbs on June 16 one month ago.
NSW Covid cases likely to surge beyond 100 again
Ms Berejiklian predicted Saturday's case total will be even higher, likely surpassing 100 for only the second time since the outbreak began.
Responding to further scrutiny over whether the current restrictions are strict enough, she once again stressed decisions are made on the health advice but warned a tighter lockdown could not be ruled out.
"If we need to go harder, of course we will," Ms Berejiklian said.
The premier declined to comment on whether just specific areas which have high rates of transmission could face tightened restrictions.
Greater Sydney and surrounding areas have been in lockdown since June 26, with current measures set to end on July 30 depending on whether the number of cases infectious in the community gets close to zero, Ms Berejiklian has repeatedly warned.
More than 77,000 people came forward for testing in the previous 24-hour reporting period, a surge Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said was likely due to the testing enforcement for essential workers in Fairfield.
Dr Chant identified the Bayside, Campbelltown, Camden, Lakemba, Fairfield, Liverpool, Cumberland, Mt Druitt, Rooty Hill, Bayside, Sutherland shire and the Georges River areas as "areas of concern" and called on residents to come forward for testing as soon as symptoms arise.
"I can't stress to the community my absolute concern that we need to work harder at reducing mobility and reduce our interactions with others if we will bring the situation under control," she said.
Seventeen people are in intensive care and are aged between their 20s and 80s. Just one of those 17 have had either of the jabs – a single dose of AstraZeneca.
Two major hospitals on high alert
Two of Sydney's major hospitals are now on alert after a healthcare worker and a patient were diagnosed with COVID.
The worker worked at Liverpool and Campbelltown hospitals and their infection follows a case in a patient earlier this week.
NSW Health said the operating theatres at both hospitals had been deep cleaned after a healthcare worker tested positive for coronavirus last night.
Three paramedics in southwest Sydney have now also tested positive for the virus, forcing at least 70 paramedics identified as close contacts into isolation.