Mum’s warning after daughter catches deadly infection trying on shoes


A mother has sent a warning to other families after her four-year-old daughter contracted sepsis through her foot after trying on new shoes.

Sienna Rasul, from Wales, fell seriously ill the day after trying on shoes during a back-to-school shopping trip wearing bare feet. The young girl was diagnosed with sepsis which doctors pinpointed had been caught from bacteria in shoes.

Sienna’s mother Jodie Thomas told The Sun she was “really shocked” when doctors told her it was caused by trying on new shoes.

Sienna Rasul, 4, from Wales, contracted sepsis after trying on shoes during a back-to-school shopping trip wearing bare feet. Source: Facebook/ Jodie Thomas
Sienna Rasul, 4, from Wales, contracted sepsis after trying on shoes during a back-to-school shopping trip wearing bare feet. Source: Facebook/ Jodie Thomas

“I’ve been worried sick, they’ve had to drain all the poison from her leg,” Ms Thomas said.

“Normally she would have socks on but it’s summertime so she was wearing sandals.

“The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection.”

Ms Thomas explained how she rushed her daughter to hospital the day after the shopping trip after Sienna began crying in agony.

“By the next day it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging,” the mum said.

“I drove her straight into hospital, she was shaking and twitching — it was horrible to see my little girl like that.

“They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.

“But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the anti-biotic drip will do the job.”

Sienna Rasul, 4, from Wales, shows off her infected foot after contracting sepsis. Source: Facebook/ Jodie Thomas
Sienna’s mum is now warning parents to bring socks with them when trying on shoes. Source: Facebook/ Jodie Thomas

After spending days in hospital with her daughter, Ms Thomas took to Facebook to warn other mothers about the dangers of trying on shoes in bare feet.

Sharing pictures of poor Sienna’s infected foot, the mother wrote: “For all parents please put socks on your children while trying new shoes on”.

“I’m guilty not doing it for mine and myself, but this can be the outcome – infection spreading throughout the body,” she wrote.

“You don’t don’t know whose feet has been in them beforehand!”

The mum added her little girl has had “one hell of an outing”.

“Touch wood made a full recovery!” she wrote.

“Who would thought trying new shoes on could make someone so ill.

“So, with back to school shopping under way, carry a pair of spare socks!”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting