An Adelaide mother has shared shocking photos of her baby’s blood-stained cot after his toe was cut by the mesh on the bassinet.
Erin Duffy, from Murray Bridge, said she went to pick up six-week-old son Parker to give him his bottle at 11am on Monday when she first noticed the red stain on the side of his cot.
“He started crying so I went to pick him up and as I moved his blanket I saw lots and lots of blood,” Ms Duffy told Yahoo7
“I freaked out a lot seeing that much.”
Ms Duffy said Parker had gotten his baby toe stuck in the little holes in the side of the Big W Lullabye Bassinet and was left with a injury to his foot
“We could only see a little cut but this morning I checked his toe again and it’s started blistering which we think might be because maybe he was rubbing his food against the fabric,” she said.
- ‘She started choking’: Mum’s horror as dollar coin stuck in girl’s throat
Photos show a huge blood stain on the side of the cot and another shows Parker’s bandaged foot after a visit to two doctors.
“The doctor I saw today suggested putting Vaseline on it or paw paw cream three times a day and said it should be better in the next couple of days,” Ms Duffy said.
The family have since shared the photos and details to Facebook in a hope it will warn other mothers of the potential dangers of mesh cots.
“I never even thought of something like that happening and I thought it was a good idea having the holes to help the air flow but not now. Very, very dangerous,” she wrote.
Ms Duffy has been in contact with Big W and said the company have been “supportive”.
A spokesperson Big W confirmed to Yahoo7 they are investigating the bassinet.
“At Big W, the safety of our customers and their families is our absolute priority,” the statement said.
“Erin has acknowledged in her Facebook post that the local Big W store team has looked after her and we are in the process of investigating the potential issue with this bassinet with our supplier.”
Ms Duffy said Parker doesn’t appear to have been left with any lasting trauma from the incident.
“He’s okay now and is very happy sleeping. Definitely will be keeping socks on Parker every night to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.