Illawarra mum Pennie Smith said she let her 12-year-old son and his friends attend a neighbourhood event on Tuesday evening, only to find they had returned to the family home with multiple sachets of the deadly poison Ratsak — used to kill rats and other rodents — in their lollie bags.
Smith said one of her son's friends found the sachets among his lollies, and asked her whether she "thought it was funny someone had given it to them".
"It quivers me to the core, I was just horrified. Who would do this?" the concerned mum told the Illawarra Mercury.
Mum throws out 'contaminated' lollies
Smith said she "immediately grabbed" both kids' lollie bags and searched them to ensure there were no further sachets. The mum was so shaken up she chucked the entire bag of candy in the bin over fears of contamination, after finding one of the sachets had been opened, with the "blue bait missing".
"Please keep an eye out. Imagine if a kid put this in their mouth," she said, warning other parents in the area to be vigilant.
Windang, 15km south of Wollongong's CBD, puts on annual Halloween for the area's children every year, with celebrations catering to hundreds of local kids.
NSW Police said they are aware of the report and are investigating. They have encouraged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.